Re: gEDA-user: OT: RS232-TTL level translator in a box

Not sure if its what you were looking for, however we have been playing
with these FTDI chips for a little while now and they have been working
great.  Basically you plug this little beast in and get a virtual serial
port.  Works as a USB to serial converter.  Drivers for Linux, Mac, and
XP, Vista may be a little trouble.

Have not worked with the breakout board directly, we have made our own
version of the board.  Chips are around 5.00 from Digikey, this breakout
board is around 15.00.

Enjoy
ED

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=718

And as a PS you can get, regulated 3.3V, led lights for TX and RX and an
Oscillator clkout right off the little chip, makes it very useful for
microcontroller projects.