Re: gEDA-user: OT: RS232-TTL level translator in a box

On Tuesday 13 November 2007 13:31:40 ED wrote:
> Not sure if its what you were looking for, however we have been playing
> with these FTDI chips for a little while now and they have been working
> great.  Basically you plug this little beast in and get a virtual serial
> port.  Works as a USB to serial converter.  Drivers for Linux, Mac, and
> XP, Vista may be a little trouble.

As usual when someone mentions FTDI devices, I need to point out that back
in '05 I had some potentially *very* expensive problems due to their poor
(i.e. close to totally inaccurate) documentation.

Also, only the XP drivers allow you to program & use the extended functions of
the devices, and when I enquired about getting documentation for the purpose
of implementing full Linux support they told me to get lost in no uncertain
terms.  So that's another reason not to use them.

                               Peter

--
Peter Brett

Electronic Systems Engineer