Re: gEDA-user: OT: RS232-TTL level translator in a box

On Tuesday 13 November 2007, Peter TB Brett wrote:
>On Tuesday 13 November 2007 13:31:40 ED wrote:
>> Not sure if its what you were looking for, however we have been playing
>> with these FTDI chips for a little while now and they have been working
>> great.  Basically you plug this little beast in and get a virtual serial
>> port.  Works as a USB to serial converter.  Drivers for Linux, Mac, and
>> XP, Vista may be a little trouble.
>
>As usual when someone mentions FTDI devices, I need to point out that back
>in '05 I had some potentially *very* expensive problems due to their poor
>(i.e. close to totally inaccurate) documentation.
>
>Also, only the XP drivers allow you to program & use the extended functions
> of the devices, and when I enquired about getting documentation for the
> purpose of implementing full Linux support they told me to get lost in no
> uncertain terms.  So that's another reason not to use them.
>
>                               Peter

FWIW Peter, FTDI has the only serial-usb devices usable with old garmin
gps->roadnav, apcupsd and heyu, the linux pl2303 having become broken for
those uses back about 2.6.18 or so & never resuscitated that I know of.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)