gEDA-user: firmware and the GPL license

I've been looking at using some GPL'ed firmware code on a USB board
that I've designed. The board is part of design project for one of my
clients.

After some reading my interpretation of the GPL is that if I compile
that code into my firmware which will be "conveyed" to the client,
then the entire firmware code now has to fall under the GPL. This
effectively means that my client would have to open source their
firmware if I make use of the GPL'ed code.

So two questions:

1) Is the above interpretation correct?
2) What practical licenses are out there for this type of situation?

--
The Art of Engineering - http://blog.engineersimplicity.com