Re: gEDA-user: firmware and the GPL license

> If you link in GPL'd code, period. That includes dynamic linking, and
> any attempts to "wrap" the proprietary code in a GPL'd wrapper.

It is easy to come up with counter examples...

So if I write a proprietary program the uses the Motif widget set
and I license it with very restrictive terms and sell it to a user.
Now lets say that user one day decides to install a GPL'd
Motiff library (lesstiff) on his system and my code is dynamically linked
to it.  I don't think my code is now GPL'd.  As the author of
the software I have no control over what my code is dynamically
linked to.

Here is the text quoted directly from the GPL:

"...If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the
Program, and can be reasonably considered independent and separate
works in themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to
those sections when you distribute them as separate works...."

I think this is very clear.  I can distribute them both but must make
clear the DLL and the main program are "separate works"