gEDA-user: updating your OS, was: Re: Export gerber crash

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, Ian Chapman wrote:
>        I am using Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn which is my first
> serious effort into Linux.  This release is only a few months
> old.  I guess that there is not too much change between Gutsy
> and Feisty?
>
>         I like its stability and speed after XP but I am not
> expert at understanding what all the helpers are talking
> about.  The .deb files I have installed to get the Firefox 64
> plugins working not too difficult. Printers are total
> gibberish to me cups, foomatic and gutenprint and I
> eventually found where it put the driver.  Now Open office
> word prints and that's all that can print.
>
>         I would be really pleased to try your .deb file.  I
> think that would be simpler than updating Ubuntu and being
> frustrated by plugins and print drivers again.

On Debian (and I assume Ubuntu also) you can update without
reinstalling ...

First edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list to change to the new
version.

Then "apt-get update"

Then "apt-get dist-upgrade"

If you advance by one, it should go pretty smooth.  If you wait,
and are several behind, it is more likely that something will
require more attention.

You should be doing "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade"
regularly anyway to catch security fixes, even if you don't
change /etc/apt/sources.list.

It is so easy to keep up to date that it doesn't make sense to
keep using the old one.

I can understand the fear ...  This easy update is not so easy
with older systems, and even with some new ones.