Re: gEDA-user: gerbv-1.0.3 released!

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 13:39 -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:

> As currently planned, this release is the last release of the 1.0.X series.
> With this release, maintainership of gerbv has broadened to include several
> more members of the gEDA project (http://geda.seul.org/).  This
> places gerbv on a good footing for continued active developement.
> Moving forward, gerbv will begin to make use of the cairo graphics library (if
> it is available on your system).  Expect to see other changes as gerbv moves
> to the 1.1 series!

I've looked at that.. pad rendering quality isn't so high with cairo, as
it seems for speed, the "flattening" precision where cairo paths are
turned into polylines for rasterising seems to have been turned down.
(Presumably a trade-off for speed).

If there is anything I can contribute by way of speed improvements, I
will do so - although at first glance, it seems to use a pretty standard
cairo drawing model - so there is no obvious low hanging fruit. I'm
looking at / hitting similar issues for cairo in gschem.

> The homepage for gerbv still lives on SourceForge:
> http://gerbv.sourceforge.net/.
> There you will find a bug database,
> a feature request database, the CVS repo and a commit mailinglist.

Please can we consider moving this to GIT under the umbrella of the
gEDA/gaf project (or even a perhaps GIT repo), as this has proven
invaluable in many cases with gEDA since (and even before) we switched.
I'm biased, as I love GIT - and am starting to feel I know it, but there
are simply things you can't do with CVS.

> Special thanks to Stefan Petersen, Dan McMahill, and Julian Lamb for
> help in getting this release out the door!
>
> --Stuart

Thanks to you all, Stuart, Stefan, Dan, Julian, all gerbv contributors.
I appreciate this effort myself, and I'm sure all other gerbv users do
too.

Best wishes,
--
Peter Clifton