Re: gEDA-user: gschem: Simple text-substitution macros for text labels?

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 13:39 -0500, Marshall Jose wrote:
> How close is gschem to supporting simple macros or variables to be
> included in text strings? I'm thinking about something like
>
> "$filesavedatetime" expands to the date and time of the most-recent save
> operation involving that current file, or
> "$filename" expands to the saved file's name
>
> such that (e.g.) I don't have to keep editing the title-block
> information with every edit. I'm not looking for CPP functionality, just
> some simple, useful substitutions. Also, IMO, applying them to attribute
> strings would just be asking for headaches.

A neat way to do this would be with a shell script, as there is no in
built text processing in gschem. I personally feel that the place for
this processing would be (for now at least) in a user's Makefile or
post-processing script. A little bit of "sed" or "awk" usage in
conjunction with some /usr/bin/sh scripting should do the trick.

In future, we might support more flexible extensibility. In theory, we
could provide a hook for calling scheme code on file-save, however the
APIs are not really "there" enough yet to do the manipulation you're
after.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton