Re: gEDA-user: [RFC/PATCH] Nicer names for default component libs

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 21:20 +0000, Peter TB Brett wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The attached patch uses some functionality I added a few months ago to change
> the names presented in the component dialog box to something less offensively
> cryptic.
>
> Comments appreciated.

I think it looks a lot nicer, but I don't like:

  ("analog" "Generic basic devices")
(Are most of these "Passives"?)

  ("misc" "Misc. unsorted symbols")
Urg... of the misc. prefixes, this is probably the one which could stay.

  ("power" "Generic power rails")
"Power rails"?

  ("transistor" "Misc. transistors")
"Transistors"?

  ("io" "Generic input/output")
"Input / output"?

  ("titleblock" "Generic titleblocks")
"Titleblocks"?

etc.....

  ("memory" "Misc. memory devices")
  ("micro" "Misc. microcontrollers")
  ("radio" "Generic radio elements")
  ("tube" "Misc. vacuum tubes")
  ("connector" "Generic connectors")
  ("switch" "Generic switches")
  ("rf" "Misc. RF elements")
  ("pla" "Misc. programmable logic arrays")
  ("supervisor" "Misc. microprocessor supervisors")
  ("opto" "Misc. optocouplers")
  ("diode" "Generic diodes")
  ("relay" "Misc. relays")

IE. the "Misc." and "Generic" prefixing is bad. If any categories are
ambigious / repeated with commercial vendors, you could postfix..

e.g.

"Diodes (other)"
"FPGAs (misc)"

or whatever.

There is of course a danger of feeling symbols don't exist, e.g. if the
user is looking for a relay under "Relays", and misses the ones under
the manufacturer, e.g. "Tyco"

(You might then consider "Relays (Tyco)", or just sticking them all into
"Relays").

Just some random thoughts, otherwise a very good patch.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,