Re: gEDA-user: [RFC/PATCH] Nicer names for default component libs

On Nov 29, 2007, at 10:08 AM, Peter Clifton wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 21:20 +0000, Peter TB Brett wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> The attached patch uses some functionality I added a few months
>> ago to change
>> the names presented in the component dialog box to something less
>> offensively
>> cryptic.
>>
>> Comments appreciated.
>
> I think it looks a lot nicer, but I don't like:
>
>   ("analog" "Generic basic devices")
> (Are most of these "Passives"?)

Some are not. Maybe call this "basics".

>   ("misc" "Misc. unsorted symbols")
> Urg... of the misc. prefixes, this is probably the one which could
> stay.
>
>   ("power" "Generic power rails")
> "Power rails"?

"Power connection symbols"?

>   ("transistor" "Misc. transistors")
> "Transistors"?

What's the problem?

>   ("io" "Generic input/output")
> "Input / output"?

Suggest an alternative.

>   ("titleblock" "Generic titleblocks")
> "Titleblocks"?

Suggest an alternative.

> etc.....
>
>   ("memory" "Misc. memory devices")
>   ("micro" "Misc. microcontrollers")
>   ("radio" "Generic radio elements")
>   ("tube" "Misc. vacuum tubes")
>   ("connector" "Generic connectors")
>   ("switch" "Generic switches")
>   ("rf" "Misc. RF elements")
>   ("pla" "Misc. programmable logic arrays")
>   ("supervisor" "Misc. microprocessor supervisors")
>   ("opto" "Misc. optocouplers")
>   ("diode" "Generic diodes")
>   ("relay" "Misc. relays")
>
> IE. the "Misc." and "Generic" prefixing is bad. If any categories are
> ambigious / repeated with commercial vendors, you could postfix..
>
> e.g.
>
> "Diodes (other)"
> "FPGAs (misc)"
>
> or whatever.
>
> There is of course a danger of feeling symbols don't exist, e.g. if
> the
> user is looking for a relay under "Relays", and misses the ones under
> the manufacturer, e.g. "Tyco"
>
> (You might then consider "Relays (Tyco)", or just sticking them all
> into
> "Relays").

What do you want here? *Any* classification scheme is going to be
flawed. We have classifications by technology, manufacturer,
modularization (think "74"), function, etc. Which one is right? Find
five users, get a dozen opinions. Maybe the library installer should
make some links...

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx