gEDA-user: data objects in a hierarchy [was: OpAmp with internally ]

John Luciani wrote:
> On 11/1/07, Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Yes, to see all physical pins in the schematic may have advantages.
>>
>> But on the other hand: Some people may prefer abstract schematics.
>>
>> Personally I would prefer to have one visible representation for each
>> group of connected pins (I like to see power pins, because output range
>> of an OpAmp is limited by its power supply.)
>
> It depends on the use of the schematic. If I were browsing a schematic and
> just wanted to review the circuit functions I would probably prefer the abstract
> schematic.

This makes me think of the chip design tools and methods; in that setting, data
can have many views and action triggers.  Abstraction is valuable to satisfy the
ways of thinking of individual system designers, so allowing it without making it one way
is good.  Data objects like symbols/modules/schematics, pins/ports, busses/port-groups whatever you name them,
could show different symbol appearances in the schematic, or trigger an effect when
a mouse is over it, or have an effect that flows up in hierarchy a number of levels that is useful.

An example would be:

A module has been placed in a schematic, and then it is changed in the library
and a new look at the schematic references the new module.  Next, this changed module is down 3 levels in
a hierarchy, and you are looking at the top level.  Do you want to see anything different in a 3 levels down
module?  Sometimes yes -- the kind of difference could be just a signal that "I am changed since last
schematic DRC" shows up at each level going up as a color change of the schematic outline.  Once you run DRC
checks again, that signal goes away and there is no difference viewable.

Another example:

Mouse over info expansion messages could be enabled for one level down, then when over a single pin that is an output
that uses multiple pads as a package output could show a message to that effect when mouse is over and your are looking at the
module the buss/port-group  is placed in.  One more level up and it would not show -- it only relates to the package a module is
in anyway.  This kind of thing is chosen by the individual designer, not made a standard in gschem.

John Griessen

--
Ecosensory   Austin TX
tinyOS devel on:  ubuntu Linux;   tinyOS v2.0.2;   telosb ecosens1