Re: gEDA-user: Back Annotation

Dan McMahill wrote:
> Stuart Brorson wrote:
>>> Is there a program that renumbers the reference designators in the PCB
>>> file based on their placement on the board, and then changes the
>>> schematic files to match?
>> No.
>>
>> It's an important missing feature which is often discussed.  Nobody's done it yet.
>>
>> Stuart
>
> actually... thats not true.  I did that years ago.
> Renumber() in pcb renumbers based on placement and writes out a file
> that details what it did.  Then pcb_backannotate which is part of geda
> applies those changes to the schematics.

See:
http://pcb.sourceforge.net/pcb-20080202/pcb.html#Renumber%20Action

that appeared in the snapshot from the summer of 2006.

and october of 2006, this appeared:

http://git.gpleda.org/?p=gaf.git;a=blob;f=utils/scripts/pcb_backannotate;hb=4233fc6baa24a17655a312f47d14a53204a00057

hope that link pastes ok.

It would not be hard to teach Renumber() other algorithms for how the
renumbering works (vertical vs horizontal preference for example or even
nearest neighbor).

I didn't include full support for pin or gate swapping in
pcb_backannotate, just like pads_backannotate doesn't support that part
fully either.

The annotation file used to convey the information from pcb to gschem
could potentially be used as the conduit for more general
forward/backward annotation.  I think to be really effective you'd like
to have a netlist comparison program so you could write out a schematic
netlist, a layout netlist, compare the two and produce an appropriate
annotation file.  fwiw, this is how PADS works.

-dan