gEDA-user: Editing footprints/nets for off-board parts

I have a few questions about how I would go about using gschem/pcb
for some off-board parts (switches, connectors, indicators, etc.).
Since they will be connected by wires and won't be on the board the
standard fixed footprints are not really ideal. In gschem I am
setting the footprint of the parts in question to generic "CONNECTOR
x y".

1. Is it possible to break the footprint apart to move the pads to
separate areas of the board but still keep the component/netlist
valid? I tried various combinations of copy/cut to the buffer and
breaking into elements, but the resulting part that gets pasted has
no connections/reference to the original.

2. Some connections are point-to-point by wire and should not appear
on the PCB. Can nets be marked in gschem to be omitted from the PCB?

3. Along with #2, if the connection is not on the board then the pad
doesn't need to be either. How does one use a footprint with fewer
pads than pins in the symbol?

Thanks