gEDA-user: Ubuntu package for 1.6 and footprints

Hi,

I've been looking at geda as a replacment to Eagle, as I want to use a
fully open source tools flow. I've got a couple of questions I hope you
guys can answer.

I use Ubuntu which has gschem 1.4. So I've downloaded the newest code
with git and compiled it. Given that there seems to be quite few changes
is there any plans to build a 1.6 Ubuntu package either for relase in
the Ubuntu repos or via a PPA.

While looking at the code base I found geda_manager, is this project
still alive?

I'm having trouble finding the correct footprint names for components.
Is there a list of footprints. Would it be possible to add a dropdown
list of footprint names for a selected component in the component
attributes dialog.

Thanks,
Kelvin