Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL testing

On Mon November 2 2009 05:15:09 am Peter Clifton wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 18:14 -0500, Mark wrote:
> > How different are Ubuntu's libraries (packages) compared to the bone
> > stock ones straight from the project developers?   I'm not certain they
> > would really work on Slackware.
>
> I'm not sure.. I tried to find some slackware packages, but their site
> is terminally broken..

Slackware makes a philosophy of being broken. :)

> Installing custom compiled versions of system libraries is typically a
> recipe for a broken system disaster.. since it is difficult to know what
> patches / fixes / compile options a distro will use to put together a
> working suite.

That's what I was thinking but I thought a quick question just to check couldn't hurt.

> On Ubuntu, the debug libraries are not installed in /usr/lib/..., they
> hide in /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/.... (Under /usr/lib/debug is an image of
> the file-system, but just with debug libraries).

I'm pretty sure I'd have to compile debug versions of the libraries for Slack.  I believe that
Slackware runs 'strip' on every executable which removes all debug symbols from every binary they
use.

> If you had a spare HDD, installing Ubuntu (or one of the other more
> modern distributions) would probably be the easiest way to proceed IMO.

Ah well, I was hanging onto this older setup until I made the time to install Slackware 13.   But
then I saw others reporting the problem and I thought I might be able to help.  I'm assuming a new
setup or even a clean install of gEDA-gaf and PCB might clear the problem.  But what fun is
that? ;)

I guess I've been waiting long enough.  I'll upgrade (maybe sometime soon) and see if we can call
that a fix.

-Mark Stanley