Re: gEDA-user: trying to compile gwave 20090213

On Monday 16 November 2009, KURT PETERS wrote:
> What do you intend to use gwave for?  Is it for viewing SPICE
>  output?

Some people use it for Spice output.  Some people use it for
Gnucap output.  It fits very well with running Gnucap
interactively.

I think most gnucap/gwave users are not using gspiceui.

Personally, I use gwave with gnucap as my primary viewer for
gnucap, but gspiceui (and anything like it) just gets in the way
so I don't use it.

Getting back to the original question ....

From what I have seen, gwave compile problems are usually
(perhaps always) due to a missing library.  For some reason I
can't figure out, the guile libraries have different names on
different systems, so it is hard to figure out which one is
missing.

It's too bad autoconf isn't more helpful at identifying what is
missing.  Without autoconf, what files are missing is obvious
when it fails to compile, so I would ask the package manager
what package provides that file, and install that package.  With
autoconf, you can look at the log, and see what test failed and
how it failed.  With patience, eventually you will find it.

For another clue, look at other distributions that have gwave
packages and see what the dependencies are.  I believe Fedora
and Debian (and their derivatives) have working gwave packages
you can look at.

Unfortunately, I don't remember what the name of the missing
package was, other than that it was different from what autoconf
said it was.