Re: gEDA-user: How to deal with single/dual parts?

Steven Michalske wrote:
> Your suggestion sounds like an implementation I would call a logical
> hierarchy
>
> ( A hierarchy could be one level deep, and flat in the first place. )
>
> workflow
> logical hierarchy ---implement---> physical hierarchy ---flatten?--->
> physical flat design.
>
> Then the physical flat design gets plumbed through the various other
> workflows.
>
> The implement step could have things like
> - The connector script I have seen flowing around, that makes tables
> of nets and pins into a connector.
> - A generic R and C converter ( a very simple light to heavy converter )
> - A light to heavy converter, connected to a parts database.
> - Many other tools that can add the metadata of a design

Yea, I think I'm beginning to see that.  Time for some brainstorming...

* a schematic "symbol" represents some or all of a "component"
* a "component" might satisfy the functionality indicated by more than
one symbol
* a "component" comes in one or more "footprints"
* "footprints" are used by more than one component
* schematic hierarchy symbols are just collections of "symbols"

Man, the scripts to make all the above work just sound like a
connect-the-dots type of exercise.  But the computer scientist that
isn't in me just isn't jumping up and down going "oooh, I know! I
know!!" just yet.  :)

The good news is, perhaps, that implementing a workflow based on the
above should be possible with the current gaf tools.  It's really just
an exercise in not using functionality in the existing tools that are
trying to implement certain cases of the above already.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?  Solved problem anywhere we
can look to for inspiration?

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff