Re: gEDA-user: How to deal with single/dual parts?

Stephan Boettcher wrote:
> I'd not call that abuse.  The current sloting mechanism allows to change
> pin numpers on a drawn component to switch to a different instance of the
> component inside the same package.
>
> We also call for changing pin numbers when we replace one package type
> with another.  What is so bad proposing to generalize the existing
> mechanism to cover both cases cleanly, instead of implementing another
> mechanisem that does almost the same?

Not sure if this question is related, but...

Why not change the workflow so that during schematic capture, there are
no pin numbers anywhere?  "Pins" on symbols get assigned a physical pin
number during some some later step, at the same time that footprints are
selected.  And then a backwards data flow brings the pin assignments
back to gschem for display?  Of course, I really have little idea of the
implications of what I'm saying...  :)

It has never made sense to me to do pin assignments during schematic
capture.  At that point, all I'm interested in is the signal flow
through the symbols--- the pin assignments aren't a necessity until
layout, and are subject to change during layout in ways that don't
really affect the schematic.  I don't really care that I chose a chip
with four NAND gates rather than four single-chip ones, the logical
signal flow is the same in both cases.  But that change often requires
that I physically change from one symbol to another in gschem, even when
the visual representations are identical.

Of course, you have to deal with making sure that the four-gate chip has
a decoupling capacitor vs. four caps for the four-chip solution, and a
convenient way to note that is on some power-related pages attached to
your schematic diagram.  But I find that almost everyone puts those on
their own pages, so that they don't "pollute" the rest of their
schematic.  That suggests to me that other people view schematic
diagrams as logical entities too, at least except for those
power-related pages.

Because of what I view the schematic capture process as being, stuff
like slotting and footprint= don't really fit in with my mental model of
what schematic symbols are.  As I see it, those concepts exist only
because we're trying trying to force part of the layout process upstream
into schematic capture.  I don't know how to fix the problem, but I
think that's what it is.

Obviously, you can't eliminate pin numbers altogether in a schematic
diagram.  How would I know where to put my oscilloscope probe?  :)  But
a schematic diagram that features pin numbers is a subtly different
document from one that doesn't--- it contains "markup" recording
decisions made during layout.

Just my $0.02.

b.g.

--