Re: gEDA-user: PCB: AutoRouter

Stefan Salewski wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 18:32 +0100, myken wrote:

>> I was just wondering, is there any documentation on how the autorouter
>> of PCB is implemented? Restrictions, strategy, information used, hooks,
>> alternatives, etc.

> For latest PCB snapshot 20091103 the "old" autorouter is strongly
> improved and documented in user manual.

Not only that, there is a lot of really good documentation on the
implementation of the autorouter (thanks to Harry I think). The main
file, autoroute.c, is explained with comments the whole way through, and
at the top, just after the license, a paper is cited which details the
general approach. I remember Harry saying that he does a few things
differently than as described in the paper, but I'm pretty sure he has
explained any differences in the comments.

And if there is anything not covered in the docs, specific questions
would probably be answered by Harry or someone else who might know, so
just ask away.

> The new topological autorouter is available too [...]
> There is not much documentation for it, and it may fail

Yes, if you want to try the toporouter, be prepared to spend way more
time hacking on the code than capturing schematics or laying out the
board. Having said that, I have used it for a couple of small homemade
boards with great results.. e.g.,
http://www.wand.net.nz/~amb33/acutime_interface.png - I was able to keep
that board to a single layer with no vias.

At the top of the code there are a few papers cited which should
probably be read and understood before getting into the code.

If there are any questions about the toporouter algorithms, or if anyone
is interesting in contributing, just ask.

Cheers,
Anthony