Re: gEDA-user: PCB: AutoRouter

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 18:32 +0100, myken wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was just wondering, is there any documentation on how the autorouter
> of PCB is implemented? Restrictions, strategy, information used, hooks,
> alternatives, etc.
> Is there an active development in that area?
>
> Just to explain: I am using gEDA/PCB professionally but I do the routing
> by hand because I can't get a grip on the autorouter functionality.
> Sometimes I have simple, non critical boards I just want the autorouter
> to find a solution but most of the time I don't want to use the solution
> the autorouter presents to me because it makes me look bad,
> unprofessionally (this is a nice way of saying the autorouter makes a
> mess of things, but then again maybe I am doing something wrong).
>
> No offence ment to anyone, I just try to understand the autorouter.
>
> Best Regards, Robert.

For latest PCB snapshot 20091103 the "old" autorouter is strongly
improved and documented in user manual.

The new topological autorouter is available too, if compiled with
--enable-toporouter option. You can call it from command entry
with :toporouter(). There is not much documentation for it, and it may
fail, see

http://www.wand.net.nz/~amb33/toporouter/