Re: gEDA-user: Some questions about pcb

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 11:58 AM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I'm not using gsch2pcb so the netnames in the schematic aren't
>> applicable (starting layout from scratch). There is no in-tool way to
>> edit the net names? I have to edit them in the .pcb file?
>
> You might be able to use the 'n' to rename them, but I've never done
> it.

Tried it, doesn't work... so my only option is to directly edit the
.pcb file then?

>> I have pcb open right now and I don't see this option or anything similar.
>
> What verion of pcb?

20091103

>> Sorry, what I really wanted to do is invert the refdes, not the
>> component. Is there any invert option for the refdes?
>
> Invert as in upside-down?

No, a horizontal invert. What happened is I inserted a 0805 and the
refdes was backwards. Not sure how that happened but I was looking for
an invert option and didnt find it. I probably accidentally placed the
component on the bottom layer.

>> Solder is the top layer and component is the bottom layer?
>
> Solder is the layer you solder on, component is the layer with the
> components on it.  Usually components go on the top of the board.

The side I solder on? Thats a bit ambiguous. I solder SMT components
on top and solder through-hold components on the bottom. So really
both sides are the layer you solder on.