Re: gEDA-user: new ethernet chip...

I've not used these chips.
But on the subject of ethernet, the chip I do use is the Wiznet W5100,
it saves all the effort of having to have your own TCP/IP stack since
it's offloaded in hardware. It's a very flexible chip, can be accessed
via a full bus (14 bit address bus, 8 bit data bus), or by "automatic
increment" - two bit addressing with an 8 bit data bus, or using SPI.
You can take or leave as much of the TCP offload as you want - you can
use it at the MAC level, IP level, or use the whole stack. I've found
them to be excellent chips for adding ethernet to 8 bit projects.

There's also a more capable W5300 as well, which can support more
simultaneous TCP streams, and has both an 8 and 16 bit data bus.

The only thing that might put people off is that it uses a 0.4mm pitch
LQFP, I find going from 0.5mm to 0.4mm for home made PCBs increases
the difficulty by an order of magnitude using toner transfer (I
thought it wouldn't be that much harder!) Of course, with a factory
made PCB it's not really any harder than a 0.5mm TQFP or similar.