Re: gEDA-user: More strange ideas: Start PCB layout from symbols view

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:41:33 -0800, Ben Jackson wrote:

> The main advantage there is that you could place each component by
> clicking *once* rather than the more laborioius 1) find, 2) click &
> drag.

This is how I delegate the find task to the computer:

1) Have gschem open on the other screen.

2) do Select -> Select_By_Name -> All_Objects

3) search for the refdeses of a functional group as seen on the
schematics and separated by "|" characters.

4) do Select -> Disperse_Selected_Elements

5) Grab the selection from the upper left of the working area and drag it
to some other place.

Although this is an improvement over searching by eye, it is still a bit
laborious. Two features in gschem and pcb could vastly improve the work-
flow.

In gschem: Extract the refdeses of all symbols in a selection and output
them as a one line list separated by "|".

In pcb: disperse the selected elements and cut the selection to buffer
and activate the buffer tool -- all tied to a single key shortcut.

If there were real scripting abilities in gschem and pcb, these two
functions would be my first project. Now, that I think about it, the pcb
part might already be feasible...

---<(kaimartin)>---
PS: The "|" character is missing in the otherwise helpful description of
the use of regexp in the pcb manual.
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211