Re: gEDA-user: Switch gschem to another scripting language?

On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:24:18 -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:

> 2.  Use as a language one can use to automate various actions in gschem.
>  This is probably closer to the way Eagle users think about scripting
> Eagle.
>
> IMO, Scheme is an excellent language for use 1.  Other languages aren't
> really suited to creating netlists as easily.

Fair enough.
If the tool is fits the purpose, it should be used for this purpose.

I haven't been able to locate information on the way the C part of
gnetlist is supposed to communicate with the scheme backends. Maybe I am
just partially blind. Any pointers, short of "read the source"?

> OTOH, if
> somebody actually stepped up and added a TCL interpreter to libgeda

An interpreter that resides in libgeda adds to the load of software to be
maintained. It has to mirror development of the language of choice, else
geda ends up with its own, special dialect. Doesn't sound attractive to
me, be it scheme, TCL, python, or any other scripting language.

Maybe, there is a better, more flexible way: gschem (and pcb, too)  might
provide an interface that listens to commands sent to it through pipes by
external applications. I got to know this technique with grace, a data
plotting tool. Although the application is GUI driven by tradition, it
can also be telecontroled by a C program. Everything a user might do in
grace via the GUI corresponds to a command that can be sent by the C
program. This is a lot like the actions in pcb. Grace treats commands
from the GUI the same as commands through the pipe. E.g. the
visualization can be tuned by the user while data pours in through the
pipe.

This approach minimizes the effort at libgeda. It just has to provide the
receiving end of the pipe. Adaption to yet another scripting language
wouldn't need any change on behalf of libgeda. All that needs to be done
is to train the interpreter of the shiny new language to output geda
commands to the pipe. Note, that this approach is not confined to
interpreted languages. Compiled binaries can access this way, too.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Öffentlicher PGP-Schlüssel: