Re: gEDA-user: Ben mode feature request

On Nov 1, 2010, at 11:49 AM, John Griessen wrote:

> On 11/01/2010 11:05 AM, John Doty wrote:
>> Point and click is a seductive time waster*except*  for inherently graphical parts of the job.
>
> A lot of layout is.

Sure. That's a good use of GUI. But parts selection, assigning pin numbers, revision control, document generation, running simulations (as opposed to inspecting siumulation results), etc. are all fundamentally clerical tasks where a GUI gets in the way, especially if the job is outside the GUI designer's necessarily limited horizon.

But there's lots of overlap. For example, gattrib is great for a little "touch up" of a few attributes, but for larger scale changes it is a time waster. Because gattrib is a separate tool communicating through a clean interface whose design it did not influence, it's also harmless. An integrated gattrib would be much more troublesome.

> Rearranging some sets of files' locations is faster by GUI than by commands, since whole swaths of files
> can be moved at once after a quick selection task done visually.

I bet if you actually measured the time, you wouldn't find the selection as quick as you think. GUI's warp perception. They make things easy, not quick.

>  (and no, regexp's would not help this.).

They do for me. "mv `ls | grep ...` wherever". But mostly I try not to get into a mess where there are large numbers of files in a directory.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx