Re: gEDA-user: Ben mode feature request

<snip>
everything
</snip>

I think the point John wants to make is that if you only program for a GUI, then you loose the scriptability.  I have see this many times in software.  Where is you write the GUI first, the scripting is an afterthought.  Where as if you write something scriptable in the first place, putting a GUI on top of it is easier.

I code the latter way, writing a good low level API that has a simple command line UI, then I add the GUI on top of it when it is warranted.

My favorite example of fritterware is Excel spreadsheets for computation of complex formulas.  Instead of a program that takes in the data files and makes the graphs and reports.  I HATE taking the data files and manipulating them by hand to enter them into the spread sheets.  Though this example is not GUI vs CLI,  it is really GUI (Excel) vs. scripted report tool.

Steve