following contents, as well as missing/garbage characters on the two
dialog buttons (the left button--perhaps Cancel--has some sort of
missing-character glyph that shows "0008"):

  Note: home directory is "%s"
  The gtk gui current ignores "%s"as part of a menuitem resource. Feel
  free to provide patches

Other things, that produce log messages, such as optimizing nets
with the 'o' key shortcut produces the same sort of thing, but worse

I've been using the pcb 2010-09-29 release (built from git sources on
Ubuntu 10.04 amd64) and also now tried the latest git HEAD as of
2010-11-07 and the problem remains.

I tried moving my ./pcb/preferences away and it didn't fix it.  Thanks
in advance for the help!  The startup messages are a little annoying,
but when I hit 'o' and get a barrage of dozens of "shorted net"
warnings, etc., it's basically unusable.

Regards,
Colin