gEDA-user: OT: Gilbert Cell

Has anyone worked with Gilbert Cells?  I'm having a lot of trouble with
one from ON Semi, MC1496, formerly Motorola's part, I think.

The thing is configured as a product detector.  There's 2 input
frequencies and they both mix down to 5 kHz.  That part works well.
But, the chip just happens to oscillate at 5 kHz all by itself even
without the local oscillator running.  Go figure.  There's also a very
slow moving, 400 Hz or so, modulating the 5 kHz.  I cannot for the life
of me, figure out where it's coming from or how to get rid of it.

I appreciate any help.

gene