Re: gEDA-user: NGspice and GNUcap Non-Linerar Dependent Sources

On Nov 10, 2010, at 4:09 PM, clif@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> I've been playing with ngspice and gnucap and have gotten good results with the Non-Linerar Dependent Sources eg ASRC Bxxxx devices in ngspice. I mostly use those with VC-Switches to make full wave bridges, SCRs, Triacs, etc...

Why not use the semiconductor models for semiconductor devices? Make full wave bridges from diodes, SCR's from cross-coupled transistors, etc. A great deal of effort has gone into accurately modeling semiconductor physics in these simulators: why not exploit it? A Google search for "spice scr model" turns up quite a few subcircuit models of this sort. If you can't find exactly the model you need, it's probably better to tweak one of these than make one up.

>  Though I see that they are not supported in gnucap. I guess the alternative is to use POLYs. I've looked around and except for a short description in the gnucap manual I haven't found a comprehensive howto on how to use them.

A common way to go from data sheets to model parameters is to model test circuits and then tweak the parameters until there's a decent resemblance.

You can configure ngspice to support POLY. See http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/SPICE/x496.html.

> Are POLYs really that much better at solving convergence problems to be worth the extra trouble? Is there a good into or howto on how to use them?

There is a vast literature on the subject of constructing polynomial approximations to functions. Google for "polynomial approximation". You'll never be able to digest it all.

> Are negitive coeficents even legal?

Sure, why not?

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx