Re: gEDA-user: geda-user Digest, Vol 54, Issue 32

http://newton.ex.ac.uk/teaching/CDHW/Electronics2/userguide/secC.html

> Also some discussion on when to use them vs arbituray expressions as in Bxxxx sources. Naively one might assume that becuase they should be well behaived functions that each point would have a usable first or even second derivative, and this would help convergance. Though here is a quote from the NGspice manual Chapt 12.2.7 BSIM1 model (level 4):
>
> "A known problem of this model is the negative output conductance and the convergence problems, both related to poor behavior of the polynomial equations."

Common problems with polynomial approximations:

1. They rapidly become useless outside a limited domain. BSIM models are indeed prone to unphysical behavior at operating points outside the domain of their approximations because they use polynomial adjustments for some computations.

2. It takes a lot of terms to do a decent approximation of a function whose shape isn't very "polynomial like".

> So it's not even obvious that they will perform better. Are they there
> just to support legacy models, or are there times when they are the best tool we have?

Most special function libraries use polynomial approximations heavily, so if you're using Bxxxx you're almost certainly using polynomials implicitly. The advantage of the library functions is that they've generally been designed to use a given polynomial only within the domain in which it behaves well.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx