Re: gEDA-user: Comments on pcb's g-code

Sorry that LPKF stuff is off-topic but I just figured out a way to make tabs on boards that might help someone. There is a button in circuit cam to calculate and draw breakout-tab cutting outlines but it flat-out doesn't work for me so I'm going to talk about the harder way.

Draw your desired board outline. Decide on which width routing bit you're going to use. I'm going to assume you're using a 1mm router, which is 40 mils in diameter. Draw a second board outline, outside of your existing board outline, such that the width between the copper edges is 40 mils. Typically I draw board outlines 10mils thick, so that'd be 50 mils center-to-center offset. Draw the outer outline with gaps that are 120 mils wide. That way when it's routed there will be 120mils - 2x(40mils router width) = 40 mils of uncut board material holding the board into the uncut surrounding material.