Re: gEDA-user: Matching footprints with symbols

Stefan Salewski wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 01:15 +0200, Armin Faltl wrote:

>> Did anyone try my schematic posted in
>> http://www.seul.org/pipermail/geda-user/2010-April/046716.html

I read the list with knode via gmane. Unfortunately, gmane munged your
attachments. And I was too lazy to ask for a resend to my private email
address.

> One remark: You used the minus sign "-" in your footprint names.

This seems to be the initiation bug for serious geda users :-P

	Welcome to the club!

Seriously, this bug is long standing since at least eight years. It has been
discussed multiple times on the list and even been ranted on. The bug itself
has not been addressed, yet. Some (power) users make a point in never using
the m4 lib directly -- Most notably John Luciani. They thus can get away
with hyphens in their footprint names.

There is an option to gsch2pcb to ignore the m4 library no matter what:
	--skip-m4

> This can give trouble in rare cases due to m4 macro expansion.
                           ^^^^
                       /rare/many/
The insidious side of this bug shows by the many seemingly unrelated ways it
breaks the layout further down the road.

Bottom line: Avoid hyphens in footprint names except to add a revision
number at the end of the base name.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak