Re: gEDA-user: Matching footprints with symbols

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 05:23:05 +0200
kai-martin knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stefan Salewski wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 01:15 +0200, Armin Faltl wrote:
>
> >> Did anyone try my schematic posted in
> >> http://www.seul.org/pipermail/geda-user/2010-April/046716.html
>
> I read the list with knode via gmane. Unfortunately, gmane munged
> your attachments. And I was too lazy to ask for a resend to my
> private email address.
>

> > One remark: You used the minus sign "-" in your footprint names.
>
> This seems to be the initiation bug for serious geda users :-P

> There is an option to gsch2pcb to ignore the m4 library no matter
> what: --skip-m4

I always use 'skip-m4' in my gsch2pcb project file since newlib is so
much cleaner.

> Bottom line: Avoid hyphens in footprint names except to add a
> revision number at the end of the base name.

Unless you're exclusively creating newlib footprints, right?

For instance, my footprint library contains the following footprints
which have hyphens ("-") in their name:

FCI_10033526-N3212MLF.fp
Hirose_DF13A-2P-1.25H.fp
Molex_KK-156_male_header_3pin.fp