Re: gEDA-user: Problems compiling PCB Release 20100929

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 20:46:12 -0500
dfro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> P.S. Will my Ubuntu 10.04 system get confused if I install both the
> Synaptic package of pcb along with the compiled version?

You should look at the 'prefix' where pcb is configured for
installation.  Don't use a prefix of '/usr' since that will (1) stomp
on files installed by the .deb version installed by the Ubuntu
package manager, and (2) I never, ever install any hand-compiled
program in /usr since you will totally lose track of what you have
manually installed in that enormous, fairly flat namespace.

You can probably use a prefix of /usr/local successfully, and then
things will probably be in your PATH by default, (/usr/local/bin comes
before /usr/bin in the default Ubuntu path).  However, even
though /usr/local avoids stomping on managed packages, it is still like
a big dumping ground that is very unorganized.  Good luck trying to
clean up old version of programs installed there...

I use the following specific method of organizing manually installed
packages.  You may prefer to eliminate the VERSION level of hierarchy
and use just /opt/pcb as the prefix, but I have found it very useful
and not at all cumbersome to allow multiple versions to be installed
simultaneously.

(1) I install all non-Ubuntu-managed programs
into /opt/PACKAGENAME/VERSION.  For instance, when building pcb, I use
a command like

  ./configure --prefix=/opt/pcb/20091103

This will create a hierarchy under /opt/pcb/20091103 with 'bin' and
'share' directories.

(2) I create a symbolic link to '20091103' at /opt/pcb/current.  Then
if I have multiple pcb versions installed under /opt/pcb, I can just
have /opt/pcb/current/bin in my PATH and the currently selected pcb
version will be executed.

(3) Put this in your .profile if you often run pcb from the command
line: PATH="/opt/pcb/current/bin:$PATH"
Otherwise you can add a Gnome/KDE icon to your programs menu or launch
bar that runs /opt/pcb/current/bin/pcb.

Regards,
Colin