Re: gEDA-user: [PCB-Patches] Action-documentation

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM, kai-martin knaak <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> PS: (*) Would a general switch of "element" to "footprint" receive a
> warm welcome by the developers? This would provide more consistency
> between geda and pcb wording.

I've always thought of the "footprint" as the definition and the
"element" as the instantiation of the footprint.  I think it would be
confusing to call the pcb element a footprint.  Would I say there are
twenty 0603 footprints on a board?  No, there is just one 0603
footprint in use, and it is used 20 times to make 20 elements.

Just a different perspective from a user, but I could be out in left field.

Jared