Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL+3D Packages??

Hi Peter and all,

The screenshot looks nice ;-)

Some questions come to mind:

1) Are the resistors modelled with 3D- primitives like spheres/cylinders, or
are they modelled with 3D-faces ?

2) Are "we" (the pcb-devs) going to teach pcb to do the modelling, or do we
just export the information for creating 3D-views to a separate
utility/application ?

I'm testing the feasibility of coding/using an OpenSCAD exporter for the
above purpose, this looks promising, but at this moment I can give no 100 %
guarantee of this becoming a viable solution.

However, OpenSCAD seems to have some (user) momentum in the MakerBot &
Thingieverse culture, and the OpenSCAD code resembles to be a small subset
of the C programming language.

At least one nifty thing OpenSCAD can do is extrude a geometry defined in a
2D DXF-file (made with QCAD for instance), this would allow for arbitrary
shaped boards.

I don't know weather OpenSCAD --> stl file --> G-code is a desirable work
flow to get G-code files for a plastruder to create a 3D-mock-up of a
"non-electrically working" pcb with components (plastruders by definition
extrude (possibly non-conductive) plastics).

OTOH, there is Blender, BRL-CAD, HeeksCAD to name a few.

3) I there any insight where to place the bet for our pcb monies (and coding
time) ?

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.