gEDA-user: PCB+GL+3D Packages??

An actual rendering from PCB+GL with some code I've been playing with...

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/pcb+gl_3d/pcb+gl_3d_packages_mockup.png

Not currently pushed to any repository, this hard-codes a search for
ACY400 footprints (as used on this board), and renders a 3D model for
each resistor. (The 3D model is defined in C code, not a generic format
at the moment).

I have been playing with 1D texturing to put stripes on the resistors -
albeit not actually with the correct value at this stage.. but it IS
possible ;)

Questions:

1. Does anyone care about seeing this land in PCB?
2. Will anyone bother to make 3D models for packages?
3. What format would people like to make models in?

I'm thinking VRML (perhaps as output by Wings32) might be a good choice,
as I believe this is what KiCad uses.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,