Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL Testers (please test)

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 04:05 +0100, kai-martin knaak wrote:
> Hi Peter.
>
> Bad news from the "local_customisation_no_pours" branch:
> I switched to the open source radeon driver rather than the closed
> fglrx for my ATI HD4670 card. With this driver X freezes on start-up of
> the no_pours version of pcb. The screen does not change anymore except
> for a slowly updated mouse cursor. Since there is no keyboard input, I
> could not enter a text console and had to do a reboot with the power
> switch. I tried a fresh clone/compile/install but results are the same.
>
> Since most likely everything except for X is still working, I might be
> able to log in via ssh and peek around (Have to move hardware in place,
> first). Is there anything I might look for, so you get a chance to know
> what happened?

Any errors at the bottom of dmesg
Any errors at the bottom of /var/log/Xorg.0.log (.old) if restarted

if you're running remotely, you can "sudo gdb /usr/bin/X `pidof X`" and
grab a backtrace with "bt", although its been a while since I did that
myself, so I'm not quite sure if I described the process of attaching
right.

It might actually suffice to do: "sudo gdb --pid `pidof X`"

Then "bt", ENTER.

Do it a few times.. does the trace location change, or stay the same?

There may also be ways and means to debug by passing options to the GL
driver, but I don't know any specifics for Radeon.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,