Re: gEDA-user: Window problem

Hi,

>I posted this question yesterday but it seems to not have made it onto the
>list.  I appologize if this is redundant.  Perhaps this should go to the
>developers list?

        No, I saw the bounce, but I didn't really have the means to deal
with it.  Sorry.  Either user or dev are fine for such questions.

>Anyway, I managed to get gEDA to build on my UltraSparc running Slackware
>Linux and KDE 2.1.2.  When I launch gschem, the window size is well beyond my
>desktop size and I cannot resize it.  Now, if I open an xterm on the Sparc
>box, telnet to another (intel) machine and lauch gschem, it behaves as it
>should, which makes me think the build went funny.

        I think your build is fine.  If you are using 20010722, then the
window size is determined automatically (sometimes very poorly).  In CVS
there is a new feature which allows you to control the size of the window
via a *gschemrc file.   So, you can either rebuild libgeda/gschem etc...
from CVS or you can go into gschem/src/x_window.c and change the
following lines:

(function x_window_setup_world)

  if (w_current->display_width <= 800) {
    w_current->width = 672;
    w_current->height = 504;
  } else if (w_current->display_width <= 1024) {
    w_current->width = 800;
    w_current->height = 600;
  } else if (w_current->display_width <= 1280) {
    w_current->width = 1024;
    w_current->height = 768;
  } else if (w_current->display_width <= 1600) {
    w_current->width = 1280;
    w_current->height = 960;
  } else {
    w_current->width = 1600;
    w_current->height = 1200;
  }

  and just comment out this entire block and do something like this:

w_current->width = 800;
w_current->height = 600;

or

w_current->width = 1024;
w_current->height = 768;

   If you still have problems, let me know, and I will try to help.

                                                                -Ales

P.S. I want to apologize for my extremely slow e-mail response time in
     general, but I have been nearly 'netless for the past week.
     Something about an "upgrade" that my ISP decided to do and managed
     to knock a few thousand users offline.  It is nearly impossible to
     send e-mail when your network connection completely freezes every 30
     seconds (for 10-30 seconds).  Things are still not back to normal,
     connection wise.  Lots of interesting discussions/questions which
     I haven't been able to be involved in. :(