Re: gEDA-user: Newby Question on Symbols

Hi,

    I have attached a simple schematic from a home project that has a set of
*rc files that should help you along.  The trick is to tell gschem and friends
to look in your project schematic and symbol directories for the needed files.
gEDA/sym/local, as you have observed, should be for local ly created shared
symbols.

To make this work, be sure to start gschem in the `schematics' directory, and
not in either `sym' or `sch'.

(BTW, this is an IDE interface for an 8051 Microcontroller.  At this point,
I can read and write on an ATAPI zip disk, now I can put the code on the disk,
and just boot it into the ram on the target, much easier than the slow serial
port...)

Mike

John Davies wrote:

> Thank you Stefan, it works.  So I put the filename.sym and the filenamesch
> in ....geda/share/gEDA/sym/local and I was then able to see filename.sym in
> the component-library under Local, include it in a schematic and descend to
> the underlying circuit.  Unfortunately I have not been able to access
> ftp://www.icarus.com/pub/eda/gtag/, or find the correct file type from the
> top level. I think that the file is no longer on the site. But I am nearly
> there.  The next stage is for me to put a gschemrc in my working directory
> and include the appropriate working files within it.  I have tried this but
> do not know the correct format to use.  I am assuming that I do not need to
> include every schematic/symbol in ....geda/share/gEDA/sym/local, since this
> would mix various projects.  Any suggestions as to how this is handled?

                              Mike Jarabek
                                FPGA/ASIC Designer
  http://www.playground.net/~mjarabek

ide_schematics.tar.gz