RE: gEDA-user: Newby Question on Symbols

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, John Davies wrote:

> Thank you Stefan, it works.  So I put the filename.sym and the filenamesch
> in ....geda/share/gEDA/sym/local and I was then able to see filename.sym in
> the component-library under Local, include it in a schematic and descend to
> the underlying circuit.

Great!

> Unfortunately I have not been able to access
> ftp://www.icarus.com/pub/eda/gtag/, or find the correct file type from the
> top level. I think that the file is no longer on the site.

Ehhh? I found it? But the evil part of me has attached the tar ball.

> I am assuming that I do not need to include every schematic/symbol in
> ....geda/share/gEDA/sym/local, since this would mix various projects.
> Any suggestions as to how this is handled?

As Mike already pointed out you have to hack some local gschemrc to
set up component libraries et al. When gschem starts it looks for rc-files
in three places in the following order (from the top of my head):
1) Current working directory (which is where I have put them)
2) ~/.gEDA/gschemrc
3) .../share/gEDA/system-gschemrc

In my attached example I have both a gschemrc and a gnetlistrc. Both calls
a commonrc which sets up the paths. gnetlistrc also changes the default
behavior for hierchial designs when running gnetlist. OK, it's scheme
code, but it's very simple. Just remember the ()'s ;-)

Note that you have to start gschem from the dirctory you have your project
wide gschemrc.

This really calls for a project manager. That would really overcome this
cumbersome steps. But it's easy once you done it.

Hope it's getting clearer,
/spe
! Stefan Petersen, MSc EE         !  \
! http://www.stacken.kth.se/~spe/ !    \___________