Re: gEDA-user: gEDA is on GNUWin II

Hi all,

Stefan Petersen writes:
 > [...]
 > Please do that and report your findings.

So I have downloaded the ISO and burnt a CDRW to try it on a Win98
box.

 > I think the picture at http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/apps/geda/en/index.html is
 > not complete accurate since it depicts gerbv. I have never heard from
 > anyone saying (s)he has been able to run gerbv under windows, even though
 > I have got numerous questions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

No you are not. There is no gerbv on the CD.

It 'only' includes the mingw port of gEDA/gaf in version 20020527m4
(that is the same that the one available on the binary page of the
gEDA web site) : gschem, gnetlist, gsymcheck and utils.

Note that you do not have to download the complete ISO to get the
software as you can also download individual parts directly from the
website (have a look at 'Installation' on the description page of the
software). This is a very interesting feature that should be
emphasized I think.

There is a bunch of useful things that you would have to spend time to
find by yourself elsewhere (like scilab, gnuplot, gimp and mingw) and
other things less useful but as always it depends on what you do or
want to do.

Regarding the screenshot on the description page for gEDA, it would
obviously be better to have a screenshot of gschem instead of
gerbv. Anybody has a schematic of the same level of complexity than the
board shown in gerbv and can make a screenshot under Windows (better
than under Linux) ?

Patrick