Re: gEDA-user: Pcb, anyone?

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Ales wrote:

> 	Yeah, it's on ice.  I have been spending all of my time on gschem
> and friends and I won't start a new project until I finish some major
> milestones on gaf.

From my personal point of view and needs, FWIW and all that, here is my vote:

  1.	The only obvious thing missing from gschem/gnetlist is bus
  	rippers. I can think of a couple of ways of doing that,
  	but I'm sure you have a good scheme for it already.

  2.	I'm sure the user interface can be changed and improved, but it
  	seems pretty darned good to me - does everything I would expect
  	from it - and seems well coordinated and organized as it is.

  3.	The symbol library is perhaps not perfect, but works for me. You
  	would normally expect to make many symbols yourself, anyway,
  	regardless how complete a standard symbol library pretends to be. My
  	only tiny gripe would be that it might perhaps be clearer to collect
  	all the virtual components (like sheet connectors, nc, ground,
  	power, bus rippers, include, title boxes) together.

        What might help, would be to add more volunteer standardization to
        components. This would help making components originating from
        different sources become more coordinated. The existing "Symbol
        Creation Document" is a good start, though.

  4. 	Running gnetlist and similar tools by way of Makefile is the
  	way to do it - no point-and-drool interface there please (if that
  	is on the UI to-do list).

  5.	There is even a nice Gerber viewer.

All of which leaves "gpcb" as the "missing link".

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no
Voice/videophone: +47 22523641 Voice: +47 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899