Re: gEDA-user: Initial Impressions

[snip]
>I first had to create a directory .gEDA and copy system-gschemrc
>to ~/.gEDA/gschemrc, just to get the thing started.

	Where does it say to do that?  That should _never_ be
necessary to get gEDA/gaf up and running.

[[ side note: In fact, this is a rather bad thing to do in general.
~/.gEDA/gschemrc and/or gschemrc (in the current directory) should
just override the values set in system-gschemrc and not be full copies.
I will add code to prevent this in the future.  ]]

>I immediately got an idiot message:

	What are the lines right above these error messages?

>	Read ~/.gEDA/gschemrc file [/home/torsten/.gEDA/gschemrc]
>	Did not find local gschemrc file [./gschemrc]
>	Could not find [(null)/gschem.scm] for interpretion
>	Failed to read init scm file [(null)/gschem.scm]

	What is happening here is the system-commonrc file is not
being found.  Do you have a system-commonrc file installed in:
$prefix/share/gEDA ?  Do you have a system-gschemrc file installed
in: $prefix/share/gEDA ?

My share directory for gEDA looks like this:
$ ls /home/ahvezda/geda/share/gEDA
total 76
   1 bitmap/            1 scheme/              37 system-gschemrc
  10 gschem-darkbg      1 sym/                  2 system-gschlasrc
   1 gschem-gtkrc       5 system-commonrc       2 system-gsymcheckrc
  10 gschem-lightbg     6 system-gnetlistrc

Did you make install the geda-symbols-20020825 package?
What do the following commands output:

which gesym-config
gesym-config --version
which libgeda-config
libgeda-config --version

>After clicking the "close" I had a completely blank window:
>http://www.atlantic.net/~torsten/gschem/gschem.jpg (15k)
>No menus, no icons, nada.

	When this happens, the system-gschemrc and/or system-commonrc
files are not being found?

>Follow are the console error messages.  Crazy package.

	Crazy?	:-)  I will conceed that the error messages are _not_
very novice friendly.  I created a bug (#35) to address this (program
should exit gracefully and not spew out such garbage).

								-Ales