Re: gEDA-user: Initial Impressions

First off, I've had success in running gschem with your questions.
I did not know that gschem was searching a very specific directory
for its files, rather than defaulting to common directories.
I should have looked at the error messages more closely in the
idiot dialogue, they told me the error.  Guess I'm an idiot.  :)

I've answered the questions one-by-one, nonetheless.

The problem came in because gschem searches for the config files
in libgeda directory, rather than gschem directory.  This is
fine if gschem exists in the same directory as libgeda, however
on my system I have taken advantage of the --prefix arg to
configure to separate, and install each program in it's own
self-contained directory.

I would normally expect for gschem config files to be found in
the gschem directory, or for gschem to search a common config
directory (i.e. /etc, /usr/local/bin/etc).  That's where the
failure comes in.  gschem only searches the libgeda directory.

I've solved the problem by symlinking the $prefix/share/gEDA
directory from symbols package to the libgeda/share/ directory.

I would suggest that gschem package include it's own configuration
file, and take advantage of the dependency configuration scripts
to find it's dependent files.  Also, gschem could search for a
system-wide config file in /etc.

Thanks!
Torsten

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 23:13:04 -0400
Ales Hvezda <ahvezda@seul.org> wrote:

> [snip]
> >I first had to create a directory .gEDA and copy system-gschemrc
> >to ~/.gEDA/gschemrc, just to get the thing started.
>

> 	Where does it say to do that?  That should _never_ be
> necessary to get gEDA/gaf up and running.

If I run gschem without the directory, I get this console error:

------------------------------------
workstation:torsten:~$ gschem
gEDA/gschem version 20020825
gEDA/gschem comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.

Could not find a gschemrc file
workstation:torsten:~$
------------------------------------

I was improvising by adding the .gEDA home directory.  To be honest,
I can't quite remember prompted me to add that specific directory
to get gschem running.

> [[ side note: In fact, this is a rather bad thing to do in general.
> ~/.gEDA/gschemrc and/or gschemrc (in the current directory) should
> just override the values set in system-gschemrc and not be full copies.
> I will add code to prevent this in the future.  ]]
>

> >I immediately got an idiot message:
>

> 	What are the lines right above these error messages?

gEDA/gschem version 20020825
gEDA/gschem comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.

Did not find system-gschemrc file [/usr/local/libgeda/share/gEDA/system-gschemrc]
Read ~/.gEDA/gschemrc file [/home/torsten/.gEDA/gschemrc]
Did not find local gschemrc file [./gschemrc]
Could not find [(null)/gschem.scm] for interpretion
Failed to read init scm file [(null)/gschem.scm]

> >	Read ~/.gEDA/gschemrc file [/home/torsten/.gEDA/gschemrc]
> >	Did not find local gschemrc file [./gschemrc]
> >	Could not find [(null)/gschem.scm] for interpretion
> >	Failed to read init scm file [(null)/gschem.scm]
>

> 	What is happening here is the system-commonrc file is not
> being found.  Do you have a system-commonrc file installed in:
> $prefix/share/gEDA ?  Do you have a system-gschemrc file installed
> in: $prefix/share/gEDA ?

Yes and No.  The two files have all found their way to
/usr/local/geda-symbols/share/gEDA ; PREFIX=/usr/local

I have compiled each package with different --prefix args to configure.
I have a tendency to keep all programs separate and in self-contained
directories.

All binaries are in the PATH, all includes are symlinked to the common
includes, and all libs are symlinked to the ld path.  The share directories
are not linked to the common share direcotry
(i.e. I do not have /usr/local/share/gEDA/).

--------------------
workstation:torsten:~$ locate system-commonrc
/home/torsten/src/Archive/geda-symbols-20020825/system-commonrc
/home/torsten/src/Archive/geda-symbols-20020825/system-commonrc.in
/usr/local/src/geda-symbols-20020825/share/gEDA/system-commonrc
workstation:torsten:~$ locate system-gschemrc
/home/torsten/src/Archive/geda-gschem-20020825/lib/system-gschemrc
/home/torsten/src/Archive/geda-gschem-20020825/lib/system-gschemrc.in
/usr/local/src/geda-symbols-20020825/share/gEDA/system-gschemrc
workstation:torsten:~$
--------------------

I tried symlinking the config files to /usr/local/share/gEDA to no
avail, same errors.

> My share directory for gEDA looks like this:
> $ ls /home/ahvezda/geda/share/gEDA
> total 76
>    1 bitmap/            1 scheme/              37 system-gschemrc
>   10 gschem-darkbg      1 sym/                  2 system-gschlasrc
>    1 gschem-gtkrc       5 system-commonrc       2 system-gsymcheckrc
>   10 gschem-lightbg     6 system-gnetlistrc
>
> Did you make install the geda-symbols-20020825 package?
> What do the following commands output:
>
> which gesym-config
> gesym-config --version
> which libgeda-config
> libgeda-config --version

workstation:torsten:~$ ls /usr/local/geda-symbols/share/gEDA/
bitmap         gschem-gtkrc    scheme  system-commonrc    system-gschemrc
gschem-darkbg  gschem-lightbg  sym     system-gnetlistrc  system-gsymcheckrc
workstation:torsten:~$ which gesym-config
/usr/local/bin/gesym-config
workstation:torsten:~$ gesym-config --version
20020825
workstation:torsten:~$ which libgeda-config
/usr/local/bin/libgeda-config
workstation:torsten:~$ libgeda-config --version
20020825
workstation:torsten:~$

> >After clicking the "close" I had a completely blank window:
> >http://www.atlantic.net/~torsten/gschem/gschem.jpg (15k)
> >No menus, no icons, nada.
>

> 	When this happens, the system-gschemrc and/or system-commonrc
> files are not being found?

Nope.

> >Follow are the console error messages.  Crazy package.
>

> 	Crazy?	:-)  I will conceed that the error messages are _not_
> very novice friendly.  I created a bug (#35) to address this (program
> should exit gracefully and not spew out such garbage).

Thanks for your help.
Torsten