gEDA-user: Ann: gerbv-0.0.10 released

'allo 'allo,

it's time for the tenth release of Gerber Viewer, aka gerbv,
the "super imposing" release.

Yet another bunch of bugs in different corner cases of Gerber files
has been fixed. Many fixes in polygon area fill, some fixes in calculating
circles, a statically allocated array caused strange stray segfaults when
drawing aperture macros. Many of the bugs were found using an example file
from Joachim Jansen. That example alone revealed four or five bugs. So if
your examples don't look like you thought it would, please send them to me
so I can fix gerbv to view them properly.

A bunch of new command line switches. Most important are:
* --display: use as in all other X-programs, ie open window from a remote
  computer.
* --geometry: Sets the geometry. Usually gerbv guess the resolution of
  your window and sets the window size accordingly. If you for instance
  have a bigger virtual window than actual screen the window can get quite
  big. With this switch you can override with for example
  --geometry=400x300

You can read more about the rest of command line switches on the man page.

Some application icons in the pixmaps directory.

Fixes in drill file parser. Many drill files don't have drill sizes in them,
else perfectly valid files. Pitch fix makes gerbv parse drill files even
though they don't have drill sizes defined, but under protest.

Greatest fix of them all. Super imposing. Handles paint-scratch-paint
more proper. Changed dramatically how different layers are drawn "on
top of each other". The good thing is that it actually work as intended,
the bad thing is that redrawing is even slower. A great thanks goes to
Dino Ghilardi that came up with the idea on how I should do this.
You can select how different layers are imposed on each other. I don't
actually know if they are to any use to anyone, but as GTK offered them
I implemented them. For more gory details, see the man page. If you
have any idea on how to use this, please tell me...;-)

Activation and deactivation of layers from the keyboard is possible.
Press down Alt and then type the layer number you want to
activate/deactivate on the numerical keypad. DOS-flashback...

The measurement bar only displays one unit at a time, mm's or mils.
Select from the menu. Default is mil, but can be changed by the configure
flag --enable-unit-mm.

Dinos export-PNG code is now configured in by default. To remove it,
use --disable-exportpng when running ./configure.

You can also set the maximum number of loaded files from ./configure.
Use the flag --with-maxfiles=<number>. Default <number> is 20 (as always).

Next release? No promises, but I will try to get some TinyScheme in so
I can use it as a resource file parser at least. And I think I will
reconsider how I enumerate the releases, so next release will probably
be 0.11 then.

Comments, patches and suggestions are, as always, very welcome. We use
the bug database and feature request database available through sourceforge.
Have a look there if you curious what's going on or if you have any idea
that you think should be implemented in gerbv.

Homepage for gerbv is still http://gerbv.sourceforge.net/ where a bug database,
a feature request database, the CVS and a commit mailinglist is available.

To download gerbv goto
	http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gerbv/
and grab gerbv-0.0.10.tar.gz

To install the program do
1. gzip -dc gerbv-0.0.10.tar.gz | tar xf -
2. cd gerbv-0.0.10
3. ./configure
4. make install

Interesting configure options are:
--help             : Lists all options
--enable-batch     : Enable compilation of Guile/Scheme backends
--enable-exportpng : Enable compilation of export of PNGs
--prefix=<dir>     : Install from dir <prefix>

Regards,
/spe

! Stefan Petersen, MSc EE         !  \
! http://www.stacken.kth.se/~spe/ !    \_________________________