gEDA-user: Hierarchy question

Hi.

I can now read schematics and symbols into a temporary set of data structures, and build nets. I'm working on writing the data structures to the netlist database.

How do I know what the top level pins for a schematic are? I need to build a default symbol for the top level. The use of flags makes sense, but the IO symbols don't seem to make much use of the device attribute. I don't know how to tell what's a flag. How can I tell?

I'm thinking that flag symbols should set their device attribute to something like FLAG or IO.

Thanks,
Bill