Re: gEDA-user: Hierarchy viewer and database proposal

Hi Bill,

I've just started catching up on this sudden volume of mail.

[snip]
>I'm trying to use gschem to design the digital portions of a chip we're
>building.  The schematic editor looks pretty good.  Gschem has a fine
>GUI, and it's highly configurable.  However, support for doing complex
>stuff on a hierarchical designs could be improved.

	Agreed.  gnetlist works, but certain things like hierarchy
support can be improved considerably.  Some of gnetlist is nice, other
parts quite ugly.  Hierarchical support is in the ugly category.

[snip]
>I've written a few such databases in the past while working for
>QuickLogic, Synplicity, and ViASIC.  I also wrote the original schematic
>generator in Synplify's Analyst product.  I'm going to write one for
>gschem for my own hierarchical netlisting and DRC checking purposes.
>
>Would there be any interest in having this tool in the gEDA suite?

	As you noticed, yes there is considerable support for such
a thing.

								-Ales