Re: gEDA-user: Gdatabase and datadraw available for download

Ales Hvezda wrote:

Hi All,

[snip]

I am personally agnostic 'cause I've programmed in both languages.
However, I have a few comments to make, followed by a question.

Before this degenerates into a holy flame war of scripting languages,
(oops too late :-), let me add my two cents also based on my experience
with these two scripting languages

Good comments, and I agree.

Having just said all this, I like guile quite a bit. I haven't found a
suitable replacement. I even like TCL. However I will examine all of
my choices when I start a new project.

I also like guile. It's in gEDA, and now it's in gdatabase as well. I copied some code from g_rc.c and g_basic.c to pull it off. I've also copied your copyright.

As gEDA grows, I think integrating TCL will also be required. We can wait until we have tools that need it, but eventually we'll need to enter timing constraints in Synopsys's sdc format which is now based on TCL. I'm going to implement low-level interfaces to the database in both interpreters, but I expect that tool control will generally be done in TCL, while data manipulation will be done in guile.

Bill