Re: gEDA-user: Gdatabase and datadraw available for download

Dan McMahill wrote:

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 08:08:25AM -0500, Bill Cox wrote:

The gEDA code base uses guile. The other obvious choice is TCL. Other than being compatible with gEDA, is there a good reason to base the code on guile? FPGA designers generally will be willing to use TCL for timing constraints and all kinds of design specific things, but they get lost in Scheme. The more advanced ASIC guys who are capable of writing netlisters are willing to use Scheme, but they'd also use TCL. I'm not guessing about this, it's based on strong experience. I could do both, but I'm not sure that makes sense.

I'd probably vote for scheme. For those of use who use cadence, scheme
isn't too bad. Also for anyone hacks on gnetlist, they're already
exposed to guile and TCL may be yet another thing to learn.

-Dan

Sorry about the late reply. I had a week-long confernce to go to.

I've gone ahead and integrated guile, using a bit of the gnetlist code as a guide. TCL will probably also be required at some point, but it can wait until later.

Bill